The Jezebel Spirit // Part 2
The last Wednesday we were together, we talked about a Jezebel Spirit. We are going to take a deeper look this week at what exactly that is and what it means to us. Let’s go back to Revelation 2:18-23:
To the angel of the church in Thyatira write: These are the words of the Son of God, whose eyes are like blazing fire and whose feet are like burnished bronze. I know your deeds, your love and faith, your service and perseverance, and that you are now doing more than you did at first. Nevertheless, I have this against you: You tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophet. By her teaching she misleads my servants into sexual immorality and the eating of food sacrificed to idols. I have given her time to repent of her immorality, but she is unwilling.
So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of her ways. I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds.
As we saw last time, a Jezebel spirit is not mentioned in the Bible. The scripture we just read in Revelation serves as the foundation for the teachings on a Jezebel spirit. Most scholars believe that Jesus was not referring in the Revelation scripture to an actual woman in the church in Thyatira who was named Jezebel. They believe (accurately) that Jesus was using a known character to describe what was operating in the church at Thyatira. To understand the characteristics of a Jezebel spirit, you must study the woman in the Bible known as Jezebel. We did that last time, so tonight we will fill in some gaps so that people understand what is being referred to Revelation and why that is important now. Let’s reestablish the definition of a Jezebel spirit:
An actual demonic spirit or the influence of a demonic spirit working through a person to disrupt, discredit, and destroy a work of God through the use of spiritual gifts to gain authority and attention.
1. The Characteristics of a Jezebel spirit.
- It is controlling.
- It claims a direct line to God.
- It claims higher revelation than others.
- It is seeking attention and followers.
- It is dispatched against godly strength.
- It is vindictive.
- It is brazen.
- It is generally unrepentant.
2. The Traits of a Jezebel spirit.
- It works with established biblical authority only as that authority recognizes it and allows it to function.
- It will inevitably seek to be exalted.
- It often focuses on types, forms, and characters.
- It usually exalts the rights of the individual above the Body.
- It will condemn those who disagree as being unspiritual.
- It will hold itself to different standards than others.
- It can exalt experience over truth.
- It thrives on conflict.
3. The Goals Behind the Jezebel spirit.
- To create confusion in the Body of Christ.
- To discredit the established leadership of the church.
- To draw away followers from the church.
- To destroy what God is doing in the church.
- To scatter the sheep.
A Jezebel spirit can work through a man or a woman. It will choose a wounded soul which seeks affirmation. Often, it chooses a woman who has been hurt by men or religion. A Jezebel spirit uses people. It will fain compassion for someone and will disdain real church discipline. When its followers no longer fit its purposes, it discredits and discards them. It is ultimately under no authority.
- Revelation 2:18-23
Check us out and share us with your family & friends!