Gifts & Calling // Part 5
November 24, 2019

Gifts & Calling // Part 5

Speaker:
Series:
Passage: Hebrews 1:1-2
Service Type:

Bible Text: Hebrews 1:1-2 | Speaker: Parkey Cobern | Series: Gifts & Calling | According to Ephesians 4:11-13, every member of the body of Christ is gifted and called to do the work of the ministry. Since each of us are unique and our sphere of influence is different, there are things that we need from God that can only be obtained through knowing the Bible and seeking God in prayer. Many are content to remain at the bottom of the mountain of God’s presence – leaving the seeking of God and the knowledge of the Word to their pastor. Just as in the days of Moses, these folks choose to live their spiritual life vicariously through their pastor – wanting him to hear from God for them and to know the Word so that he can tell them what they should do. There is a fundamental flaw in such a decision:
God called you to know Him through experiential knowledge obtained through personal knowledge of the Bible and prayer.
No one can do this for you. If you refuse to obtain this on your own, you reject your fundamental purpose. If you reject your fundamental purpose, then it is easy to reject other directives from Him. What we end up with is this: 
A frustrated, floundering people who have a second-hand knowledge of God without a true fear of Him which has produced in them a selective obedience and an unhealthy dependence upon Moses to be their sole source of revelation. If you want to take your mountain of destiny, you must climb the mountain of Presence!
For it is on the mountain of Presence that you learn everything needed to take the mountain of destiny! We must become a people who know the Bible. In it we find 95% of the will of God for our lives. The other 5%: marry this person, change churches, move to another city, is there a specific step you want me to take to bring ministry to my sphere of influence, is obtained directly from the Spirit of the Lord. 

God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds. /// Hebrews 1:1-2 (NKJV)

God has always been speaking to His people. He has done that in many different ways in times past. He still speaks today in several ways but each of those ways originate in the Person of Christ:

My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. /// John 10:27 (NKJV)

Every direction truly from God finds its origin and purpose in the revelation of Jesus. Most of what you will need to know to follow the will of God for your individual life you will find in the pages of Scripture. You won’t need to pray about marrying or dating an unbeliever, the Scripture answers that question for you. You won’t need to pray about the need to work, the Scripture answers that for you. You won’t need to pray about being faithful to your spouse, the Scripture answers that for you. After you have begun to seriously seek God through prayer and the Word, you’ll begin to hear His voice. Here’s several ways you may experience:

Impressions: Feeling that God is telling you to do something through a strong “nudge”.
Visions: Scenes or pictures you see while awake that reveal a truth or a direction.
Dreams: Visions of the night seen while sleeping that reveal truth or provide direction.
Hearing a voice inside your spirit which reveals truth or a direction.
Hearing a direction or a truth through another person, whether in person or through a book, etc.
Hearing a direction through a passage or passages of Scripture either in your thought processes or through Bible reading.

These are the primary ways God speaks to His children. Have you ever had one of these happen to you? Becoming an earnest seeker of God does not eliminate the effort of other voices or motivations. Next time, we’ll discuss how to be sure what you’re hearing is God.

Today’s Scriptures:

      Hebrews 1:1-2 (NKJV)
      John 10:27 (NKJV)

Check us out and share us with your family & friends!

Website: http://www.capstone.church
Twitter: twitter.com/capstoneinfo
Facebook: facebook.com/thecapstone
Vimeo: vimeo.com/capstonechurch

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *